Actor Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs, according to a report by the New York medical examiner’s office.
The Associated Press quotes the examiner’s office as saying Ledger died of “acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine.”
The AP helpfully breaks that down into brand names: “The painkiller OxyContin, the anti-anxiety drugs Valium and Xanax, and the sleep aids Restoril and Unisom.”
Newsday reports that “Oxycodone and hydrocodone are narcotic painkillers. The other four drugs have sedative effects and are used to treat a variety of symptoms including insomnia and the anxiety that accompanies clinical depression.”